Apostle and Disciple are two terms that can be found in the Bible. And used for the followers of Jesus. Most people use these terms interchangeably due to many similarities between these two. But Apostles and Disciples are different in many ways as well.
Let’s take a closer look at Apostles vs. Disciples
|Belief||Both have a strong belief in Jesus|
|Derived From||Both are derived from the Greek Language|
|Current Existence||A Disciple currently exists while Apostle doesn’t|
|Choice||Apostles are chosen while Disciple is called|
Table of Contents
What Is an Apostle?
An apostle is someone who works as a messenger of God and is responsible for spreading the Gospel. This Gospel is the teaching of Jesus Christ. An Apostle is chosen, and it is considered that Jesus chose himself.
What Is a Disciple?
The term Disciple is used for the student. In Christianity, a Disciple is an individual who follows the teaching of the Messiah. They cannot teach or convey the message of Jesus to others as they are learning themselves.
5 Key Differences Between Apostle and Disciple
|Meaning||Apostle means the messenger whom Jesus chose to convey his message||A Disciple is a follower and the student of the Messiah who is learning spiritual philosophy|
|Etymology||The word “Apostles” belongs to middle English; it is a combination of old French (Apostle) and old English (Apostol)||The word “Disciple” also belongs to middle English. But it was acquired from the later half ofLatin (Discipulus) to learn from the Indo-European roots|
|Relation with Gospel||Apostel is the messenger and Ambassador of the GospelMessenger and Ambassador||A Disciple is a student who is learning all the spiritual principles of the Gospel|
|Purpose of Existence||Apostles are chosen to spread the Gospel or spiritual teaching||Disciples are the individuals who are there to evolve thereof by the learning|
|Movie References||Starring Robert Dubai||Starring Race Owens|
Disciple vs. Apostle Similarities
- Whether it is Apostle or Disciple, both have a strong belief in Jesus.
- Both are equally aware of the “Gospel of Peace.”
- Both of these terms are derived from the Greek Language.
Disciple vs. Apostle Pros and Cons
Apostle Pros and Cons
Pros of Apostle
- The position of the Apostle is one of the biggest privileges, as they have to serve Jesus Christ himself.
- They have the glorious advantage of being the personal attendant of the Messiah and not only saw his face but ministered to his wants.
Cons of Apostle
- Apostle has a very big responsibility on his shoulders to teach and testify of Jesus, which can be difficult.
- There are a lot of controversies about the Apostle Paul. His identity, portraits, and his letters.
Disciple Pros and Cons
Pros of Disciple
- The right way to know more about Jesus is to follow him properly, as the Disciples do.
- By following Jesus, one can know his ways and begin recognizing his mark.
Cons of Disciple
- Disciples can get hatred from the world. And can face extra challenges and consequences.
- Not only hatred, but Jesus also mentioned that His Disciples might face precautions like interrogation and arrest.
Apostle and Disciple are two terms that can be commonly found in the Bible. Most people use these terms interchangeably. But if we look at Disciple Vs. Apostle, these both terms are different in several ways. The main difference between Apostle and Disciple is that Apostle is a messenger responsible for conveying the Gospel. At the same time, the Disciple is a student of Jesus who follows the teaching of Jesus.