If anyone wants to send any letter or document from different parts of the world, there is always a specific place or address where everything has to be delivered. All these places have a specific code, making it easier for the deliverers to deliver the documents or letters. The postal code and zip codes are two types of codes used for this purpose. Both terms are mostly the same and commonly used for delivering purposes. The main difference between these two is that the zip code is a specific term used in the United States, while the postal code is used in the United Kingdom and British-ruled countries.
Let’s take a closer look at postal code vs. zip code
|Both terms are used for sorting mail and determining the information about transporting mail.
|Zip code is a short form of zoning improvements, while postal code is to post documents.
|Zip code used in united states while postal code in united kingdom
|Zip code is a coding system while postal code is numeric tracking system
Table of Contents
What is a Postal Code?
When the cities are divided into segments, the places need to be identified where all the mails will be sent. Which can only be possible by giving a specific numerical or alphabetical number to an address or building. Therefore a postal code can consist of both numbers and alphabets, and the length can be short or long depending upon the location.
What is Zip Code?
After identifying the place at which the document has to be sent, it is necessary to know the exact code of that country or city, which can be done with the help of a zip code. Zip code is basically a zoning improvement system, started by the United States and mostly associated with Americans. It is also known as another version of postal code which consists of 5-9 characters. Zip Code does not contain any alphabet. It just consists of numbers or a 5 digit code. And each city where the facility of mail is present has been given the code.
7 Key differences Between Postal Code and Zip Code
|United kingdom and other countries
|The United States and the Philippines
|Years of discovery
|It sometimes contains only numbers and sometimes the combination of letters and numbers.
|It contains only numbers
|It is used within a city
|It is used within the country
|Can be both, short or long
|Have only 5-8 characters
|It is used to deliver the mail and documents
|Used to identify the exact bigger location
|Reference, identification, location, and route planning
|Reference and location identification
Postal Code vs. Zip Code Pros and Cons
Pros and Cons of Postal Code
Pros of Postal Code
- People can get their parcels at their doorsteps without wandering here and there for their parcels.
- Pericles can be easily dispatched because most post offices are present near the marketplace places.
Cons of Postal Code
- It costs a lot to send some things which are bigger in size by parcel.
- People are not able to send bulky things through parcel posts. The highest weight of the parcel is 20kg.
- Speed post is not available at every place, and in the places it is presently found, it is very costly.
Pros and Cons of Zip Code
Pros of Zip Code
- In the United States, people use zip codes to deliver mail and documents via USPS.
- This 4-5 digit code ensures that all the packages are delivered safely to the right place.
- Zip codes not only matter to public services, but it also matters to job opportunities and getting access to offices of doctors or stores.
Cons of Zip Code
- If a zip code is disclosed accidentally, other people can track the parcel, which can also leak the information.
- Zip code is only used in the United States and the Philippines, while all other countries use postal codes.
Postal Code vs. Zip Code FAQs
Is Postal Code the Same as Zip Code?
No, the zip code in the code is used for delivering mail in the United States and the Philippines, while the postal code is used in the United Kingdom and other countries.
Are Area Code and the Zip Code Same?
No, both are not the same. Zip code is the 5 number digit code that is added at the end of the address delivered. And the area code is a 3-digit number present in front of all phone numbers in the USA.
What Is the Full Meaning of Zip?
The full meaning of zip is ” zone improvement plan.”
Postal code or zip code, both are of the same family but are used in different locations of the world. Postal code is also known as postcode or PIN. That’s why people get confused when it comes to postal code Vs. Zip code or Postcode Vs. Zip Code. The main difference between zip code and postal code is that the zip code is a coding system used in the United States to identify the location and accelerate the delivery of mail. On the other hand, a postal code is a numeric code that helps in tracking the location at which the mail has to be delivered. Both zip code and postal code are used in sending a document from one place to another. And these codes consist of numbers and letters for location.