Both a teaspoon and a tablespoon are used for measuring purposes when cooking meals; however, they differ in some aspects. The biggest teaspoon vs. tablespoon difference lies in the measurement size of these spoons. Where the standard size of a teaspoon is 5 ml, the standard size of a tablespoon is 15 ml. So, a teaspoon is always smaller than a tablespoon.
Let’s take a closer look at the teaspoon and tablespoon difference:
|Size||A teaspoon is smaller than a tablespoon|
|Standardization||A teaspoon has a uniform size all over while a tablespoon does not|
|Serving purpose||A tablespoon is used for serving while a teaspoon is not|
|Popular abbreviation||The popular abbreviation for a tablespoon is tbsp while for a teaspoon is tsp|
Table of Contents
What is a Teaspoon?
A teaspoon is a unit of measurement with a standard size of 5 ml.
What is a Tablespoon?
A tablespoon is a unit of measurement with a standard size of 15 ml
Teaspoon vs. Tablespoon Pros and Cons
Teaspoon Pros and Cons
Pros of a Teaspoon
- It has a uniform measure across the globe at 5 grams.
- It helps in standardizing recipes.
Cons of a Teaspoon
- It cannot be used as a serving spoon for its small size.
- You will have to measure more teaspoons to make a cup.
Tablespoon Pros and Cons
Pros of a Tablespoon
- A tablespoon can be used both for eating and serving food.
- You will have to measure fewer tablespoons to make a cup.
Cons of a Tablespoon
- It lacks uniformity in measurement across the globe. In the UK and the rest of the world, it is 15 grams, in the US, it is 14.79 grams, a French tablespoon measures 30 grams, and in Australia, it is 20 grams.
Teaspoon and Tablespoon Examples
Examples of a Teaspoon
- Long-handle teaspoons – These are used for eating desserts and floats.
- Short-handle teaspoons – These are used to add milk to tea and stir.
Examples of a Tablespoon
- Eating – These are the spoons that we use for eating our meals like rice or oatmeal.
- Measuring – These are used to measure contents when cooking.
Bringing out Teaspoon to Tablespoon Similarities for Clarity
- Both a teaspoon and a tablespoon are measurements for the volume in cutlery.
- Both are used for measuring purposes while cooking.
7 Key Differences Between a Teaspoon and a Tablespoon That You Need To Know
|Origin||The teaspoon was first used in 1686 in London to measure tea, and corresponding sugar and cream quantities, too.||The tablespoon was introduced in 1760 as the perfect serving spoon.|
|Measurement||Teaspoon measures 5 mL.||A tablespoon is 3 times the teaspoon, i.e., 15 mL.|
|Purpose||It is mostly used to stir the beverages in the cup.||A tablespoon is majorly used to eat and at times, to serve food.|
|Length||The length of a teaspoon ranges between 3.5 to 4.5 inches.||The length of a tablespoon can be around 5 to 6 inches.|
|Cup Quantity||Ideally, 48 teaspoons form a cup.||There are 16 tablespoons in a cup.|
|Abbreviations used||The abbreviation for teaspoon is tsp, apart from the lesser common ones; ts and t.||The abbreviations used for tablespoon are tbsp, TB, tbs, and T.|
|Make||Teaspoons are generally made from metals like steel.||Tablespoons can be made from metal, wood, and plastic.|
Teaspoon and Tablespoon FAQs
Is a Tablespoon Bigger than a Teaspoon?
Yes, a tablespoon is bigger than a teaspoon. 1 teaspoon to a tablespoon is 1/3.
What is the Difference Between 1 Teaspoon and 1 Tablespoon?
The difference between 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon is that of quantity measurement. 1 tablespoon equals 3 teaspoons.
Does 2 Tsp Make 1 Tbsp?
No. Considering teaspoon vs. tablespoon size, 3 tsp makes 1 tbsp.
What Does 1 tbs Stand for?
Tbs is another abbreviation for tablespoon. 1 tbs stands for the measurement of 1 tablespoon, i.e. 15 mL.
How Do You Calculate a Tablespoon?
The easiest way to calculate a tablespoon for a kitchen enthusiast is to use a hand measurement. 1 tablespoon equals an entire thumb. It would equal 15 mL, the ideal tablespoon measurement.
How Many Plastic Spoons is a Tablespoon?
The plastic spoons have no standardization and can range from half a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon. But in most of the regions, it equals a teaspoon. Thus 3 plastic spoons would make a tablespoon, generally.
What Does TBS Mean in the text?
TBS stands for a tablespoon in text. (Ref. 1)
Is a Soup Spoon a Tablespoon?
No, a soup spoon is slightly smaller than a tablespoon.
How Can I Measure a Teaspoon Without a Teaspoon?
There are following two widely used traditional methods to measure a teaspoon without using the actual teaspoon:
- Measure the quantity from the tip of the index finger up to the first knuckle; or
- Measure the quantity by taking a pinch formed by the index finger, middle finger, and thumb. To form 1 teaspoon, take 8 such pinches.
What is the Quantity of a Teaspoon?
The quantity of a teaspoon is 5 mL.
How Many Grams Are in a Tablespoon?
The international metric for a tablespoon is 15 grams. However, the only exception is Australia where it is weighed at 20 grams. (Ref. 2)
Though both a teaspoon and a tablespoon are used as a means of measurement, a teaspoon is smaller than a tablespoon. You can even observe this size difference by just looking at a teaspoon picture and images of a tablespoon. The former measures 5 ml while the standard measurement size of the latter is 15 ml which is thrice that of the former. Another tbs vs. tsp difference lies in the two spoons’ usage. Apart from the measurement purpose in cooking, a teaspoon is generally used for stirring beverages in a cup while a tablespoon is majorly used to eat and, at times, serve food.