Both aunty and auntie are casual terms that are used interchangeably by people but they bear some differences. Language is a major deciding factor when using the word aunty or auntie. While the word aunty is majorly used in British English, the word auntie is used more frequently in American English. Another aunty vs auntie difference lies in the origin of these words with aunty being much older than auntie.
Let’s take a closer look at Aunty vs. Auntie here:
|Usage||Both the words are used for a relative having some genetic connection with the user|
|Formal or casual||The word aunty is less casual than the word auntie|
|Language||Aunty is used more in British English while auntie is used frequently in American English|
|Origin||The word aunty originated much earlier than the word auntie|
What Does Aunty Mean?
Aunty means a relative having at least 25% genetic connection with the user of the word. It is an informal version of the word aunt. So the sister of your father or mother is your aunty. Additionally, the wife of your uncle will also be addressed as aunty. It is more often used in British English.
What Does Auntie Mean?
Auntie means a relative having some form of genetic connection with the user of the word. It is also an informal version of the word aunt. This word is more often used in American English to refer to the sister of your father or mother, and the wife of your uncle.
Aunty vs Auntie Pros and Cons
Aunty Pros and Cons
Pros of Aunty
- It is more often used in British English.
- This word originated much earlier than the word auntie.
- People might use it to address the elderly ladies with respect even where no genetic connection is present.
Cons of Aunty
- It is used less frequently in American English.
- Many reputed dictionaries, including Collins and Merriam-Webster, will lead you to the definition of “auntie” when you try to search for the meaning of “aunty” online.
Auntie Pros and Cons
Pros of Auntie
- The word auntie is used in American English quite frequently.
- It can be used to address the elders with respect even when there is no genetic relationship.
Cons of Auntie
- It is used less frequently in British English.
- This word originated much later than the word auntie.
Aunty or Auntie Examples in a sentence
Examples of Aunty in a sentence
- Thanks for the cake, Aunty.
- I went shopping with my aunty today.
- Aunty, let’s go for a walk in the park.
Examples of Auntie in a sentence
- My auntie and her son live in Las Vegas.
- I love Auntie Nancy’s red pasta.
- Shall I make tea for you, auntie?
- This sweater belongs to auntie Kelly.
Bringing out the Similarities between Aunty and Auntie for Better Understanding
- Both aunty and auntie are casual words used for the word aunt.
- Both these words are used for elder relatives.
- Both these words are used for giving respect to an elder.
- The plural of both the words is “aunties.”
5 Key Points of Difference Between Aunty and Auntie
Here are the top auntie vs. aunty differences explained:
|Aunty or auntie meaning||It is used for a relative having at least a 25% genetic connection with the user of the word.||It is used for a relative having some form of genetic connection with the user of the word.|
|A formal or casual word||This word is used in a less casual sense.||This word is used in a more casual sense.|
|Origin||This word originated in the 18th century.||It is a modern-day word that is just 4-5 decades old.|
|Usage in language||It is used more commonly in British English.||It is used more commonly in American English.|
|Relationship||It is an informal version of the word aunt to address an elder woman, usually genetically related to the person.||It is also an informal version of the word aunt used to address an elder woman, usually genetically related to the person.|
Aunty and Auntie FAQs
How To Pronounce Aunty?
Since the word aunty is used frequently in British English, we must look at its British pronunciation. It is pronounced as “Aan-tee” with a little stretch on both the vowels.
How To Pronounce Auntie?
Since the word aunty is used frequently in American English, we must look at its American pronunciation. It is pronounced as “an-tee” with a little stretch just at the end. The first part of the word is pronounced like the English article “an” as in the word “anti”.
How To Say Aunt In Hawaiian?
An aunt is called ʻanakē in Hawaiian. The terms aunty or auntie Hawaii are used for addressing an elder respectfully.
Is Auntie Plural Or Singular?
Auntie is a singular term with its plural being aunties. The aunty or auntie spelling differs from their common plural form “aunties” which includes the alphabet “s” in it.
Where Does Auntie Come From?
The casual word auntie comes from the formal word aunt. This word aunt was itself derived from the French word ante which again came from the Latin word Amita that translates to “like a mother” in English.
Are you here to find how to spell aunty? Or wondering, aunty or auntie which is correct? You must understand that both these words are correct and can be used interchangeably. You can use the word aunty for aunt or auntie. The major difference between these words lies in their usage in the language. Aunty is used more frequently in British English while Auntie is used more commonly in American English. Considering aunt vs. auntie or aunty, the latter two terms are the casual versions of the former one. Another important difference between the words aunty and auntie lies in their time of origin. The word aunty originated about two to three centuries ago whereas the word auntie originated just four to five decades ago.